Thursday, March 15, 2007

Away… We Stay

Where do you want to take me?
I've been there before.
Why do you insist on that?
It would never work for sure.

I still the same old me.
Time has never changed.
I should not go; it's not right.
Believe me I shall take my seat.

He would tell me "I'm yours".
But he'll control me like a doll.
He would treat me kind 'n' gentle
But he'd bid me not to be me.

"Don't go east. Don't go west
I'm your man. I'm your rest.
This is too revealing. Cover your shoulder.
This is too short. It's a hideous neck.
Too much make up. Big glasses
Your face looks like a clown.
Stop pretending you're strong.
Follow your desire and be destroyed".

I would pretend I don't care.
I would wear my mask of power and play my role.
There I'll keep saying I did this, I did that.
Between the "I"s I say I would never look in the eyes.
One look of them and the show is gone.
On this stage I direct the dolls until the curtain falls.
Concealing my tears with my disguise I pray…
Pray not to look to the eyes.
In my charades I carry my shrouds on my hand.
Waiting for the looks from the eyes which makes me add more "I"s
"I'm sorry. I didn't mean it. I was jesting…"

If you want to take me somewhere,
Let it be to the future.
There I would know at least
Where I lie at last and sleep.
Or let it be a place of imaginations and dreams
Where merely hymns and lullabies are heard
Just to worship God and then to sleep
Never to be troubled by mortals' speeches
We shall wait for our rest in peace.

So let's go back, you and me, to live alone.
To be ourselves and nothing more.
Away from eyes and out of sights we stay
To live happily ever after in May.

4 Comments:

Blogger attawie said...

This is a dialogue between someone, who had enough from relationships, and his heart. She is scared to be involved in a new relation. She is mentally disturbed and lacks confidence. Confusion controls her life.

I wrote this on 3rd May 2005 after I read T.S Eliot's A Love Song to J. Alfred Prufrock "a"
But in this poem the speaker is an old man.

5:00 AM  
Blogger olivebranch said...

interesting poem attawie, can use a little form work- will give you suggestions later;

but the idea is great, though you haven't achieved the old man thing. Probably coz you are neither a man, nor old :)

you have however built an image of some people a few years older than us, who are ready to settle but afraid still from the past.

Very very well done on that part!

I guess "old" is all about perception too, a 15 year old thinks a 30 year old is old, until that same 15 year old reaches 20, 25 and eventually 30....

lovely and inspiring :D more poems from em sooon

Luke(y)

7:14 AM  
Blogger attawie said...

Thank you Luke,

it's your turn, post something

6:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Duchess I wish Ms. Fadia sees this.
Sweetie I am your NO.1 reader .please keep posting :)
Blesses

4:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home